Tuesday 16 January 2018

Leafy Cross on Throwback Tuesday

Hello lovely peeps and welcome to my new follower :o)


Today's Throwback Tuesday card features a stamp by Denami Design from 2003.

I love the simplicity of this stamp but I've never known quite what to do with it. When I sat down with it yesterday I thought I'd try some paint splatting with it and I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out.

First I stamped and embossed with Versamark and Pewter Embossing Powder from Stampendous onto Crafters Companion watercolour card.

Next I painted Pebeo Drawing Gum inside the leaves and left it to dry for ten minutes.


To make my 'paint' I splodged some Distress Ink (Pumice Stone and Hickory Smoke) onto my craft mat and added water with a very wet paintbrush.

After covering my desk with newspaper I tapped my paintbrush over the cross, drying it off with my heat gun between the two colours. To make the white leaves stand out I did a watercolour wash around the cross with the diluted Hickory Smoke ink and blended out the edges a little with water.

I dried the card off with my heat gun and then splatted a little Black Soot ink over the top. I blotted this with kitchen towel, then splatted some more but left it to dry naturally so that it would stay dark black (about 20 minutes).

Whilst the splats were drying I carefully added shadows under the leaves and stems with a small paintbrush and more of the Hickory Smoke ink. Once everything was dry I then rubbed off the drawing gum to reveal the white leaves.


For the sentiment I stamped and embossed one of the 'Go To Words' from Visible Image onto a scrap of watercolour card and layered it onto another strip coloured with the Hickory Smoke ink. A couple of wonky dots of Ranger Enamel Accents in black finish it off.

I would like to enter this in the following challenges:-
Cards In Envy - Black and White
Retro Rubber Challenge  #78 white out
Simply Create Too #134 embossing
Artistic Stampers Anything Goes
Country View Crafts' Challenge Anything Goes
Happy Little Stampers (Watercolour)  January
Card Mania #100 monchromatic
Allsorts #450 no patterned papers 

Thanks for stopping by,
Katrina x

20 comments:

Fikreta said...

beautiful card!

Unknown said...

Stunning card, love that technique it really shows the stamp off. Perfect design for a sympathy card
Hugs Kaz xx

Debbie Mageed said...

What a beautiful stamp! I love how you embossed it and accented it with watercolor and splatters. Sympathy cards are difficult to get right but this one will certainly comfort a grieving family. Thank you for playing with us at Retro Rubber and hope you will join us again soon.

Sherri Thacker said...

This is so beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Cards in Envy.

Sue said...

This is lovely Katrina huggles Sue xx

Wendy L said...

Stunning effect, thanks for joining us at Allsorts, xxx

Teresa said...

Thanks so much for joining in with the challenge this month at Country View Challenges - good luck and hope to see you again. Teresa DT

Mummylade said...

Absolutely stunning! Thank you for entering our challenge at Allsorts this week.

Jan Clothier said...

That is a lovely stamp. I was intrigued to read what you'd done with the drawing gum as this is a product I've not come across before. I see it's allowed you to mask out the leaves so that the centres remained pure, which is so effective. The shadowing you've added makes a real difference too. Lovely work, Katrina. Thank you for playing with us at Retro Rubber Challenge this week.

Kathy S said...

Very beautiful card. Thank you for sharing with the Tuxedo challenge over at Cards in Envy. Take care.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

What a gorgeous Cross!! beautifully embossed, the shadows you added make it look like it's floating on the panel.
Thank you for playing with RETRO RUBBER, hope you play again soon.
Hugs,
Maria Rodriguez.

Carol S86303 said...

Wow your card is stunning! I love the techniques you used - the card is uncluttered looking (which I think is important in a sympathy card) yet so beautiful.

Katy McGloin said...

Katrina, I must add my admiration to this post! Your card is lovely, touching and heartfelt! I love the image and wish I had one in my stash... must keep my eye out for one. Love the waterwash details as well as the drawing gum... a product that I have not heard about before! Thanks so much for sharing your sweet card with Retro Rubber. Looking forward to seeing you play often with us this year!

Sandy Trefger said...

Beautiful card! Love the embossing. Thanks for sharing with us at Cards in Envy.

creative lady said...

Beautiful card, that’s for showing us your technique. Thanks for playing along with Retro Rubber Challenge Blog.

Claire Grantham said...

WOW!! What a beautiful card. Your technique is amazing and it works so well!! Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber this time. Claire DT

BożenA said...

Just brilliant !! I love technique and your cunning, how to use this beautiful stamp. The card looks stunning.
Thank you for joining the game at HLS CAS.
hugs,
BozenA DT HLS

Jane Knudsen said...

Hi Katrina! This card is simply perfection! I love how you made it and that you used some a simple stamp to create this look is just brilliant. I am totally casing this one! Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber!!!

Tanja said...

such a pretty sympathy card - thanks for playing along at the Happy Little Stampers Watercolour Challenge

Lisa Winnard - TheCraftarageStudio said...

So beautiful.

Thanks for sharing at The Artistic Stamper.
Lisa - The Artistic Stamper Creative Team.